From the new Spark whitepaper, The Mission Driven Volunteer, written with Peggy Hoffman:
The current model of volunteering in associations, based on standing committees, is broken, leading to:
- Difficulty recruiting volunteers
- Do-nothing committees
- Poorly attended meetings
- No new ideas
- Volunteer burn out
- Disengaged and disheartened volunteers
All these are artifacts of a system that values form, position, and title over function, meaning, and action.
This model is pathological for several reasons:
- It ignores the reality of generational differences.
- It handcuffs organizational decision-making.
- It limits opportunities for involvement.
Want more? Download your free copy at http://bit.ly/13Wwe1F.